38th Annual Labor Day Weekend Festival to Feature All Things Greek including Greek Cuisine, Live Music, Greek Dancing and More
Saint Barbara Greek Orthodox Church announced details regarding ODYSSEY 2018: A Greek Festival, to be held August 31 through September 3. This 4-day party features all things Greek, including mouthwatering cuisine, live music, dancing, and a bustling Hellenic agora (marketplace). Set on the grounds of the beautiful Byzantine-style Saint Barbara Greek Orthodox Church, ODYSSEY 2018 offers something for everyone.
ODYSSEY 2018 includes:
- Classic Greek cuisine – appetizers (meze), Greek pastries (glyka), lamb on the spit (souvla), moussaka, gyro, spanakopita (spinach pie) and pastitisio (Greek style lasagna)
- “Gourmet Meze Grille” – gourmet appetizers, including saganaki (flaming cheese), gyro platter, loukaniko sausage, grilled shrimp, avgolemono soup, dips and pitas, and more
- Live Greek cooking demonstrations – learn to prepare some classic Greek foods
- Greek marketplace – Gourmet Greek grocery, t-shirts, jewelry, arts & crafts, bookstore
- Treasures ’n Junque – Odyssey’s giant tag sale
- Presentations on Greek culture and religion, along with tours of Saint Barbara Church
- Greek dance performances –Traditional Greek folk dances performed by the ODYSSEY Dancers
- Greek dance lessons – taught by the ODYSSEY Dancers (8:45 pm, Sat and Sun)
- Nightly dancing to ODYSSEY’s live Greek band, “The Hellenic Company”
- Kids’ area – Rides, games, and magic shows.
- Raffle – Have a chance at winning the grand prize of $10,000 cash, or 9 additional prizes!
- Senior Citizens Day: Fri. 8/31, 12 to 3 pm – 20% senior citizen discount on snack bar and restaurant tent purchases
For 37 years ODYSSEY has delighted the senses with a feast of Greek cuisine, the thrill of Greek dance, the sounds of the bouzouki, and the ethnic flavor of the Agora (Marketplace). Stop by Saint Barbara’s ODYSSEY for Connecticut’s greatest “Greek Party,” a rain-or-shine Labor Day tradition!
HOURS: 12 noon to 10 PM on Fri., Sat., Sun. 8/31, 9/1, 9/2; 12 noon to 7 PM on Mon. 9/3.
FREE ADMISSION and FREE PARKING (on-site and next door at Holy Infant Church)
CONTINOUS FREE SHUTTLE BUS SERVICE BETWEEN GOOD SHEPHERD CHURCH (680 Racebrook Road) and ODYSSEY FESTIVAL (480 Racebrook Road) – 1 MILE AWAY
INFO: www.saintbarbara.org or 203-795-1347
For additional info: contact Stephanie Theodos Hubbard by return email or by phone 203-795-1347 (church office).