Six Orange farms are participating in Orange Open Farms Day on Sunday, August 23 from 12:30 to 5 p.m. The farms will offer hay rides, hay mazes, tours and there will be products available for sale.
“It will be an open house for people to stop by and check things out,” explains Maryellen Holden, one of the event’s organizers. The Holden family runs the Buttermilk Lane farm at 870 Garden Road, which will offer hayrides and visits with the farm’s livestock.
Also participating are:
- Field View Farm (707 Derby Ave.), which will offer produce, corn and dairy products for sale
- Maple View Farm (603 Orange Center Rd.), which will showcase its livestock and horses
- Treat Farm (361 Old Tavern), will offer a farm stand
- Grassy Hill (970 Grassy Hill Rd.), will offer seasonal vegetables and corn
- Meadowbrook Valley Farm/Shamrock Farm at 631 Lambert Rd. will run a farm stand and hay maze.
“It will be a nice thing for people to do on a Sunday afternoon and it’s a great way to learn about agriculture in Orange,” Holden says, noting that Maple View Farm and Buttermilk Lane are not typically open to the public, only for private events.
At press time, organizers were still putting the finishing touches on the event and urge residents to check Orange CT Farms on Facebook for last minute details.
Pictured: “Tina” will be on hand at Buttermilk Lane Farm for Orange Open Farms Day on Sunday, August 23 from 12:30 to 5 p.m.
By Melissa Nicefaro – Orange Town News Correspondent