Firefighters from the Orange Volunteer Fire Department extinguished a fire in a house late on the night of October 14th. There were no injuries.
Firefighters responded to a call for “heavy smoke” in a home on 495 Quintard Lane around 11:45 p.m. On arrival, they found visible fire in the living room area of the house, according to Fire Chief Vaughan Dumas. They were able to quickly knock down the fire before it could do extensive damage to the rest of the house.
“The occupants were alerted by the smoke detector,” said Dumas. “They called 9-1-1 and exited the building under their own power. There were no injuries.”
Dumas said the incident underscores the importance of smoke detectors in homes. The device alerted the home occupants early enough that they were able to get out of the house and call the Fire Department without injury and before the fire made too much headway.
“Especially at this time of year, this incident is a good lesson,” said Dumas. “People should check their smoke detectors. It’s almost time to change clocks, and that’s always a good time to change your smoke detector batteries.”
Dumas gave no damage estimate. He said the fire was under investigation by the Orange Fire Marshal’s office. Units from the Woodbridge Volunteer Fire Department responded to cover Orange while local firefighters handled the fire.
The Orange Volunteer Fire Association provides fire protection to residents and businesses in Orange and, through mutual aid, surrounding towns. Members receive training in fire suppression, rescue, hazardous materials response, homeland security issues and other emergency services.
Operating strictly with revenues from fundraisers and donations, the Orange Volunteer Fire Department is one of the remaining few all-volunteer incorporated fire departments in Connecticut. Active members are on-call to serve the community on a 24-hour/seven-day basis, responding from stations on Orange Center Road and Boston Post Road.
In addition, the fire company offers public education services including lectures, demonstrations and training. For information about membership, donations or public education, call (203) 891-4703, click on https://www.orangevfd.org/ or find us on Facebook.
Orange Deputy Fire Marshal James Vincent and Orange Assistant Chief Mike Esposito examine a piece of furniture from the home at 495 Quintard Lane, where firefighters extinguished a housefire.